It's slammin' time (I'm sure I've said that before?) Anyway, the Christchurch Poetry Slam is coming up on Tuesday 6th October, 7pm at The Twisted Hop. Here're those deets again in case you didn't hear me the first time:
ChCh Poetry Slam
Tuesday 6th October, 7pm
The Twisted Hop, 616 Ferry Rd, Woolston
Entry $5 (proceeds towards flights to the NZ Poetry Slam for the ChCh Champ)
And here are the rules of engagement:
Rules for NZ National Poetry Slam
- 3 minutes or less with no minimum time (10 second grace period before points deduction)
- Time starts when poet speaks, however while poets can have time to settle and adjust microphone etc, this time is not limitless; ideally a poet should start after 10 seconds.
- Original poems only
- No props no music no costumes (i.e. clothing related to the content of your poem)
- In the case of a tie a slam-off will be required
- Random draw, for performance order.
- 5 Audience Judges (chosen by MC and/or organiser) display score cards 0-10 (Decimal points allowed)
- Top and bottom scores drop off and total of remaining 3 scores is the total
- If Poet goes over grace period MC or Timekeeper to ask scorer to mark down points after the judges score… (Half a point penalty for every 10 seconds over time)
- After 4 minutes the MC can shut down the poet
- 'Sacrificial Poet' (non-competing) to start the night, to help calibrate scores.
- Slams are equally about writing, performance and audience response.
- Slammers should have at least 3 poems, as for the Regionals and NZ Slam
there will be three rounds…