Here are the official rules of the Christchurch Poetry Slam as per the NZ Poetry Slam.
Sign-up is on the night only - places are limited to 12 participants so get there early.
Rules for NZ Poetry Slam
- 3 minutes or less with no minimum time (10 second grace period before points deduction)
- Time starts when poet speaks, however while poets can have time to settle and adjust microphone etc, this time is not limitless; ideally a poet should start before 10 seconds.
- Original (i.e. your own) poems only
- No props no music no costumes (i.e. clothing related to the content of your poem)
- In the case of a tie a slam-off will be required
- Random draw, for performance order.
Judging and scoring:
- 5 Audience Judges (chosen by MC and/or organiser) display score cards 0-10 (Decimal points allowed)
- Top and bottom scores drop off and total of remaining 3 scores is the total
- If Poet goes over grace period MC or Timekeeper to ask scorer to mark down points after the judges score… (Half a point penalty for every 10 seconds over time)
- After 4 minutes the MC can shut down the poet
- 'Sacrificial Poet' (non-competing) to start the night, to help calibrate scores.
- Slams are equally about writing, performance and audience response.
- Slammers should have at least 3 poems, as there will be three rounds for the Regionals and NZ Slam