Monday, July 12, 2021
To compete in the Grand Final, poets must make the top 10 in the preliminary heat on Wednesday 4th August at Space Academy.
Here are the official rules of the Christchurch Poetry Slam as per the NZ Poetry Slam.
Sign-up is on the night only - places are limited so get there early.
Rules for NZ Poetry Slam
- 3 minutes or less with no minimum time (10 second grace period before points deduction)
- Time starts when poet speaks, however while poets can have time to settle and adjust microphone etc, this time is not limitless; ideally a poet should start before 10 seconds.
- Original (i.e. your own) poems only
- No props no music no costumes (i.e. clothing related to the content of your poem)
- In the case of a tie a slam-off will be required
- Random draw, for performance order.
Judging and scoring:
- 5 Audience Judges (chosen by MC and/or organiser) display score cards 0-10 (Decimal points allowed)
- Top and bottom scores drop off and total of remaining 3 scores is the total
- If Poet goes over grace period MC or Timekeeper to ask scorer to mark down points after the judges score… (Half a point penalty for every 10 seconds over time)
- After 4 minutes the MC can shut down the poet
- 'Sacrificial Poet' (non-competing) to start the night, to help calibrate scores.
- Slams are equally about writing, performance and audience response.
- Slammers should have at least 3 poems, as there will be three rounds for the Regionals and NZ Slam